Saturday, November 27, 2010

Things that are weird.

Happy late Thanksgiving everyone.

Thanksgiving is a little weird for me, because we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving. Given that Thanksgiving is an American holiday, and my parents grew up in the Philippines... so... you get the point here.

Here's my dilemma....
Soooo... when I tell people we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving people get angry. And say I'm "Un-american" and ask me if I hate america. NO. I do not hate America. People tell me to embrace the heritage of this country, and when it's not Thanksgiving they tell me to go back to where I come from....? hmmmm.... weird...? I think so.

Because I was born in California. But everything I am, how I act, and what defines me, is Filipina. The blood racing through my veins is on fire with that Filipino Pride.

Don't get me wrong, America is great. And because I live here I have a lot to be thankful for.
but I don't get pissed at people when they say they don't celebrate Christmas. Sure I think it's a bit weird, but it's just the way the think.

But Every day is a day to give thanks I think.
I'll tell you what I give thanks for EVERY SINGLE DAY I'm alive.

My family:
For amazing parents who, at times seem completely insane, but are more reasonable than anyone else. For awesome sisters who set good examples. For older brothers. Honorably served/serving missions. And kuya diego, who still manages to mess with me even though he's across the world. For Auntie Lala and Uncle Edwin, the best aunt and uncle ever, they are so kind and loving. For COUSINS, everyone can say they have awesome cousins, but wait until you meet mine. You'll wish you were a Malit/Yasona. :P

My Heritage:
They say the biggest mistake a Filipino can make is to forget where they come from. And I never really knew what it meant until this summer. I hear of people going back to the country of which they came from, and hating it. But I LOVE THE PHILIPPINES. I loved it before I went there, and now that's even stronger. People will joke and say, "it's because everyone looks like you there.". And it's true, there's something about being around people who share that same blood. But there's something about the Philippines that no other country has. No matter how great, or how much opportunities, or money, other countries have, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE THE PHILIPPINES. Everyone I met in the Philippines has changed my life. Maraming salamat, sa lahat. :)

My Religion:
In this world, we all need something to hold on to. Yet I've never heard or seen anything as strong as the gospel. If only the Elders that taught the Malit family and the Yasona family the gospel knew what they have done for us, they would be truly amazed. I'm thankful for all my missionary friends out in the field, and all those soon to be off. You all are amazing and I'm honored to call you my friends!

Three simple, yet monumentally important things. these things define who I am, and keep me going.

.THANK YOU.
.GRACIAS.
.MERCI.
.MAHALO.
.GRAZIE.
.KIA ORA.
.MARAMING SALAMAT.


See you on the flip side.
AYO AYO ^^





No comments:

Post a Comment